Tuesday, March 13, 2012

On Reciprocity: teaching and learning with people who have Alzheimer's


Lowell, 2010

The recognition of places within the self that are shaped by silence is a profound and compelling awakening because silence longs to be heard. The thought that such a human experience is universal brings to mind a cacophony of other silences emerging out of some form of oppression – whether political, emotional or physical. My own islands of silence, which I am becoming more familiar with, impose a tangible sense of isolation and discomfort. Thus, I am compelled to bring expression to the silence through my teaching, creative work and research, and to connect with others who struggle in a similar way. It was this awareness that guided me toward the silence that affects people with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.


To read more, view my thesis at the following site.

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/30085

No comments:

Post a Comment